Double Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer and Marital and Family Lawyer
Mark A. Sessums is double board certified in Marital and Family Law, Divorce Law and Civil Trial Law by the Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education. Mark is only one of two lawyers who is currently Board Certified in Civil Trial Law and Marital and Family Law out of approximately 90,000 admitted lawyers in the Florida bar. He is also Board Certified by National Board of Trial Advocacy. Board certification indicates that Mr. Sessums has proven knowledge, skills and proficiency in Civil Trial Law as well as Divorce, Marital and Family Law and is an expert in these fields of law.
Mark A. Sessums is the founding partner of the firm. Mark was born and raised in Tampa, FL and is a 5th generation Floridian. He is admitted to practice in Florida and the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida. A graduate of the University of Florida, he received his B.A. in 1982 and his J.D. cum laude in 1989. Mark has been nominated each year as a “Super Lawyer” since the inception of the rating service in 2006 and was editor of the family law section of the Florida Bar Journal from 1999-2000. Mark received the highest possible rating of 10 out of 10 from AVVO.com, earning him the ranking of Superb from the world’s largest legal directory. He is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest rating from Martindale-Hubbell, given only to those are recognized for their superior service as recognized by their peers. Mark was invited by the Advisory board of the Litigation Counsel of America to become a fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America Trial Lawyers Honorary Society, whose membership is limited to less than one half of one percent of American lawyers. He is the author of the following articles:
- “What are Wife’s Contributions Worth Upon Divorce: Toward Fully Incorporating Partnership into Equitable Distribution,” Florida Law Review, Vol. 41, #5, Fall 1989
- “Family Law Fees-The High Point and the Current State of the Law,” LXXIII, No. 4, Florida Bar Journal, April 1999
- “Halfway Houses and Mental Health Treatment Facilities-Establishing Duty In Tort,” LXXVII, No. 6, Florida Bar Journal, June 2003
- American Association For Justice; Eagle Member
- AAML Florida Chapter: Vice President (2018- ); Treasurer (2017-2018); Secretary (2016-17); Board of Managers (2014-present); Institute Committee (2014-present; Chair, 2017); Co-Chair, Legislation Committee (2005-08); Co-Chair, Membership Committee (2006-11); Amicus Committee Chair, 2006.
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Lakeland Bar Association Member (2008-present)
- 10th Judicial Circuit (Grievance Committee, 1999-2000, Chair, 2000-2001)
- The Florida Bar (Member: Civil Procedure Rules Committee, 1990-1993; Family Law Rules Committee, 1994-1998; Vice-Chair, 1996-1997; Executive Council (2004-2011), Family Law Section, 2002-2007; Vice-Chair, Legislation, 2006-2007; Co-Chair, 2007; Trial Lawyers section)
- Polk County Trial Lawyers Association
- Polk County Family Lawyers Association (Member, 2004—present President, 2002-2003)
- Public Service Law Fellow
Mark A. Sessums practices in the following areas: