Family Law Attorneys in Lakeland & Sebring, FL
Professional, effective and compassionate Florida divorce advocates
The highly credentialed marital and family law attorneys at Sessums Law Group, P.A. provide effective representation to the firm’s divorce and family law clients. The firm’s attorneys take the time to work closely with each client to understand their unique objectives and partner with clients on establishing and implementing the strategy that best serves each family in the short and long term. With offices located in Lakeland and Sebring, our family lawyers are committed to protecting our clients’ rights and assisting them in making the decisions that will best protect their family.
Family law expertise in Lakeland and Sebring, FL
Mark A. Sessums is board certified in marital and family law by the Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education and is a fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. The firm’s attorneys and legal team respect the need for confidentiality and discretion relative to these personal matters. The firm advises and represents clients in litigated divorces as well as divorce mediation and arbitration, and is recognized as highly successful in all areas of family law, including:
- Divorce — If you are contemplating divorce, we can help you dissolve your marriage and secure various rights.
- Child custody and support — We represent parents in disputes over child custody and child support during and after divorce.
- Spousal support — We help clients negotiate fair alimony settlements or take the issue to court when necessary.
- Division of marital property — We help our clients protect their nonmarital property and receive a fair share of the marital estate under Florida’s equitable distribution laws.
- Parental rights and visitation — For noncustodial parents, we address all issues related to parental rights and visitation so that their bonds with their children are preserved.
- Marital settlements — A negotiated agreement can enable you to settle your divorce without going to court.
- Post-divorce issues — We manage modifications and enforcement actions related to court orders for child custody, child support and alimony.
- Legal separation — If you are not ready or able to go through with a divorce, but you want to live separately and protect your rights, we can guide you through the legal separation process.
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements — If you want security for your nonmarital property, we can negotiate and draft a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement that fits your circumstances.
- Cohabitation agreements — If you plan to live with someone without the legal benefits of marriage or domestic partnership, we can draft a cohabitation agreement that protects your rights now and in the future.
- Paternity — We help parents establish paternity for purposes of support and visitation.
For these issues and many more, you can rely on the highly professional family law attorneys at Sessums Law Group.
Florida family court filing trends
At the start of the millennium, the number of family court filings topped other civil, criminal and probate cases, amounting to 44 percent of all circuit court filings. But, beginning in 2004, the family court percentage of circuit court filings began to drop, reaching its lowest ebb at the beginning of the Great Recession in 2008. In the following years, family court filings began to rise again, reaching 38.5 percent of all circuit court filings in 2016 and 2017.
In the divorce arena, simplified dissolution filings have gone up significantly of late, although the trend in total dissolution filings has fluctuated with minimal change. Child support filings remain steady, and domestic violence cases have shown minimal change. The good news is that juvenile delinquency filings are significantly lower as part of a steady downward trend.
Contact the Florida family law attorneys at Sessums Law Group
Sessums Law Group, P.A. has two locations for the convenience of clients. Call the Lakeland office at 877-826-5630, the Sebring office at 863-658-4796, or contact us online to discuss how our attorneys at can help you and your family.